Friday, April 18, 2008

Plastic Crocheted Coaster



Here it is, my first attempt at crocheting with plastic bag yarn. Turns out my yarn was too short though, so it's a three-quarter coaster. Why? Because I don't have the same kind of plastic bag anymore.
It kinda looks like a lollypop, with the red stripes. :p

Here is the pattern I was following.

One thing I've learnt, DO NOT use thick plastic bags. Or at least, make sure you cut them into thinner strips or use one strand instead. You don't want to hurt yourself. Believe me. Even now my fingers are still sore from struggling with it.
I don't know what will happen if I make yarn out of different kinds of plastic bags, but for now, I'll avoid that. I got the feeling it's not advisable. Not easy though, cos I usually don't have many of the same kind, let alone the same color.
Another thing, use non-printed plastic bags when available. The paint will came off and stick on your hook.

2 comments:

RecycleCindy said...

Looks good so far. Just add another color if you don't have anymore of those bags. Don't pull too hard on your work either as it will hurt your hands. Good luck,

Cindy

Melisa Sriwulandari said...

You see, the thing is, the plastic bags that I have are of varied thickness. I worry they'll be lopsided or something if I don't use a similar kind.

Thanks Cindy!

Subscribe now via email

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBurner

Google