Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bandwidth / Quota Friendly Sites / Blogs

I just recently subscribed to my own internet connection. Since I'm out of the office, and don't have free internet connection anymore.

And luck has it that this particular internet service provider only have packages with quotas.
It is a wireless connection with a free modem, provided you sign a one-year subscription contract with them.

Actually, there are other alternatives, but they require me to buy a modem, or change my phone to a 3G kind, or rent/buy a decoder, or subscribe to cable. And GPRS is really not an option, it is too slow.

So here I am, with a few hundred MB of quota a month, with extra charge for each KB I overuse. Quite sad huh?

And I'm used to the unlimited free internet at the office. Never once did I thought of the word 'quota'.

Anyway, now that I'm limited, I've started to think about other people like me. There might be plenty of people out there who are quota limited like me too, even in other countries.

So, my point is, I've reduced the number of widgets in my blog, down to those that I think are necessary. And I'm only displaying a few posts at the front page, not only so that people don't have to scroll and scroll and scroll down, but also so that it is not heavy to load.

Well, I think it is a good idea too, for people to make sites/blogs that are thoughtful of people with quota.

Will you be one of them?

No comments:

Subscribe now via email

Enter your email address:

Powered by FeedBurner

Google